Thursday, January 24, 2013

"Totally Uncool"


The article I read is called “Totally Uncool” and I found it on the Seven Days website. This article talks about the effects of climate change on Vermont. I almost chose another ecosystem to write about (because I’m sure many blogs will be about Vermont), but my interest is mainly Vermont since it is the only state I have a real connection with because I’m a born and raised Vermonter.

This article lists the same effects that we have all heard before: warmer overall temperatures, altered migratory patterns, earlier plant blooming, and invasion of invasive species. One effect of climate change that was mentioned in the article is that precipitation in Vermont has increased by as much as 20% since 1970. To me, 20% sounds like a really big number and it made me wonder about the effects that change in precipitation has on the ecosystem of Vermont. Like where is all that extra rainfall coming from? Does that mean more water is leaving Vermont through transpiration and evaporation? And if this is the case, is it good or bad for the Vermont environment? And if that’s not the case, where is all that extra rain water going to end up? If it all runs into the lake eventually, we might be in big trouble. It is clear that the change in weather is playing a drastic part in climate change. The warmer weather is hurting plants and animals that need the cold from the winters we used to have and it is allowing warmer adapted non-native flora and fauna to take over. Some people may not see this as being a big deal, but what about those trees coming in that are better suited to warm weather? They’ll take over niches that were once reserved for sugar maples and for our sugar maple industry to take that hit will be a big deal. What effects will all these new plant species bring with them? Vermont isn't going to be what it used to be…I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to see Vermont without our 4 seasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment